Writing an essay in an expository manner - how is it different from the other papers?
Writing the expository essay includes investigating, evaluating, and expounding on an idea. This is where your argument or main idea (thesis statement) is developed on. In doing this, you choose from different methods to help you write and explain your findings. The overall concept includes presenting details clearly and concisely based on the main idea of the essay.
Sometimes, when the method of writing the essay is not followed properly, the student may end up actually writing another type of essay such as persuasive. The following points may help in understanding how the expository essay writing process is different from other types of writing.
- The writing process is somewhat different for this type of essay since a certain concept should be used to help explain the main idea or argument.
- The writer has to think about which method to use that will allow them to present their argument in a clear concise manner.
- The methods for which the writer can use to help them write their essay may be either through cause and effect, comparison and contrast, definition, etc.
- The thesis or main idea has to conform to the guidelines given for the assignment. If it does not, when the writer begins the writing process they could actually write another type of essay that is not consider expository.
- Expository essays may feature very little factual or statistical evidence.
- The main purpose of the essay it to define or explain your main idea or topic. You are working to explain your topic in a straightforward logic manner that will be easy to follow by the reader.
- You don't work to form opinions or give instructions when explaining your concept.
Other Information to Know about Expository Essays
It helps to review sample essays to get an idea of how to structure your details. In many cases, students need to give themselves more time write this type of essay to ensure it doesn't come across as another form of essay writing. The idea is to explain your idea or argument, but students often find this task easier said than done. It helps to distinguish each method and understand how you would use them to explain and define your main idea. Such essays are often easier to complete with a few steps to remember while writing.