How To Proofread Your University Essay Or Term Paper
Since proofreading is such an integral part of polishing up an essay or term paper, it rightly deserves some attention. There are several schools of thought when it comes to proofreading.
Common misconceptions about proofreading
- It can be done as you write
- It's not that necessary
- You can do it effectively yourself
- Anyone who can read can proofread
- If you write carefully you won't need a proofreading
Great proofreading strategies
- Always wait until after you are completely finished writing to do any proofreading
- Take a break - a few days if you can - in between writing and proofreading. This helps you to have a fresh perspective and a new view of the written work.
- Always, when possible, have someone else do at least one proofreading of your university essay or term paper. Why? Because you won't recognize your own errors but someone else will.
- Try reading your essay backwards, sentence by sentence. This helps you to take each sentence out of context and only see grammar and word usage errors.
- Read through your paper once, looking only for spelling mistakes. Read through it again, looking only for grammar mistakes.
- When you think you have finished proofreading your term paper or essay, take a few days away from it and then read it again, looking only for the flow of ideas and that there are no loopholes in the logic.
Other proofreading options
Your university essay or term paper probably accounts for a fairly large percentage of your grade. If this is true, you want to do everything possible to get a fantastic grade on your essay.
An expert proofreader can turn almost any essay into a great essay just by finding all the errors and correcting them. It is worth getting someone else to proofread and edit your paper if at all possible.
Your instructor or teacher may be open to the idea of assisting you with proofreading. Often, they are too busy. If this is the case, then find another student writing the same essay and swap proofreading. A new perspective is just what you need.
There are writing and editing services online which provide proofreading services for a small fee. The money it costs is not out of the range of a student's budget, and is well worth it for the quality proofreading that you get for the amount of money spent.