A Guide On How To Check Your College Essays For Mistakes
Checking your essays for mistakes helps improve content quality and readability. This is an important aspect college students should understand for various reasons. You want your message to come across to readers clearly and the way you intended it. You may lose points if errors and mistakes go uncorrected. Your concepts may become difficult to follow. The good news is there are a few tips that are easy to remember when checking your essay for mistakes. It is a matter of taking a few extra moments to ensure the task is carried out properly.
- Take your time reading over written content. When you read your essay have a printed version to use instead of reading it from the computer screen. It is easier on the eyes and you can note mistakes you need to change with a highlighter. You can write down what you need to change and how to do it on the page. You can use this as a point of reference when you make changes on the computer.
- Use a dictionary or thesaurus to check word meaning. You should check word meaning when it doubt of how a certain word is used in a sentence. You should also check words that sound the same but spelled differently to ensure you are using it correctly within the context. An example includes "effect" and "affect."
- Have someone you know read your paper. You can read your paper and catch a few errors, but a fresh pair of eyes may help catch more mistakes. Sometimes you can learn how well your content comes across to readers by having someone else read your work. They can provide recommendations on how to clarify sentences and other changes you may want to make.
- Get familiar with common writing mistakes made with essays. If you are tackling this task on your own you should get familiar with what to check for to make the process easier for you. Elements such as spelling, word usage, grammar, punctuation, and readability are a few to consider.
- Know who to ask for additional assistance. There are different options to consider when you feel you need help reviewing your paper. You can work with a professional editor or proofreader. Get advice from your instructor or colleague, and consider handbooks that provide examples on how to check for mistakes in academic writing.